How does Free TV collect personal information?
We collect your personal information directly from you when we talk to you on the phone; when you connect with us via letter, fax or email; or when you visit or use our websites, including as follows:
- when you register as a user or submit an application to ClearAds via our online application system;
- when you call us, write to us or complete an online lodgement of a Viewer Feedback Form; and
- when you visit us, provide your contact information and/or enter into an agreement or other arrangements with us.
We may also collect personal information automatically using cookies and other website tracking technologies. In some cases, we may collect personal information about you from other sources such as other member organisations and members of the public.
The type of information we collect, use, disclose and hold includes contact details such as your name, mailing address, telephone number and email address, relevant employment details (e.g. role title) and any other personal information you provide to us. For payment purposes for services provided by ClearAds, it may also include credit card and related information.
How do we use and disclose personal information?
We collect, hold, use and disclose information for a variety of business purposes, including:
- to perform our role and function as the industry body which represents Australia’s commercial free-to-air television broadcasters, including by responding to and communicating appropriately with individuals employed or engaged by free-to-air television broadcasters, relevant government departments, regulators, including the Australian Communications and Media Authority and other stakeholders;
- to promote, defend and conserve the rights and interests of our members in commercial free-to-air television broadcasting in Australia including by sending information, invitations and calls for action in relation to issues, policies and events;
- to help our members comply with the Commercial Television Industry Code of Practice, including management of complaints;
- through ClearAds, to provide classification and information services to broadcasters, advertisers, agencies, production houses and the general public in relation to television commercials;
- for administrative purposes, including without limitation, record keeping, managing our finances, obtaining legal and financial advice, and managing premises and equipment;
- to engage third party contactors to perform services for us;
- to provide, tailor or enhance functionality on our website, to secure our website and to enable us to conduct statistical analysis about website usage;
- to process applications for employment with us;
- where permitted by law, for promotional and marketing purposes; and
- for any other purpose communicated to you at or around the time we collect your personal information.
We will only hold, use and disclose personal information for the primary purposes for which it was collected, and will not use it for any other purpose except as permitted by law.
If you do not provide us with your personal information when requested, this may limit the assistance we are able to provide you. For example, we may not be able to fulfil the relevant purposes of collection, such as providing classification and information services for television commercials and we may not be able to handle enquires in connection with those services.
Who does Free TV share your personal information with?
Depending on the circumstances, we may disclose your personal information when reasonably necessary to carry out our functions or activities to:
- our legal and financial advisors;
- our employees, agents and service providers or contractors;
- our members (these being Australia’s commercial free-to-air television broadcasters) and their employees, agents and contractors;
- the Advertising Standards Bureau;
- elevant government, judicial or law enforcement authorities;
- relevant regulators, such as the Australian Communications and Media Authority; and
- in relation to ClearAds services, to payment processing providers.
We do not disclose personal information we collect to third parties for the purposes so they can market their products or services.
We are not likely to disclose personal information to overseas recipients.
Accessing and correcting your personal information
You may request access to, and correction of, your personal information. Such requests should be made in writing using the contact details below.
We will provide you with access to the personal information we hold about you, unless an exception applies under the Privacy Act.
If you believe that the personal information we hold about you is inaccurate, incomplete or out-of-date, please contact us immediately and we will take reasonable steps to correct this information, or if necessary, we will discuss alternative action with you.
Storage and security
Your personal information may be stored either in hardcopy or electronic/digital form. We take reasonable steps to protect any personal information that we hold from misuse, interference and loss, and from unauthorised access, modification and disclosure including destroying or de-identifying once we no longer need the information for any purpose for which it may be used or disclosed under this policy.
Complaints and queries
If you have any concerns about our information handing practices privacy, or if you have a query about how your personal information is collected or used, please contact our Privacy Officer using the contact details set out below. We will endeavour to respond to any complaint within 30 days.
If we fail to respond to a complaint within a reasonable time or if you are dissatisfied with our response, you should discuss your concerns with an independent adviser or contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at www.oaic.gov.au.
Please contact Free TV in relation to any privacy matters at:
Attn: The Legal Department
Free TV Australia
44 Avenue Road
Mosman NSW 2088
Telephone: + 61 2 8968 7100
Facsimile: + 61 2 9969 3520